Roberto Clemente Park Reopens After 3 Years


BRENTWOOD, NY - Roberto Clemente Park, which has been closed since 2014, officially reopened to the park on Monday.

The park was shut down after it was discovered that garbage had been illegally dumped in the park.

During the eight-month investigation, dangerous toxins, including colbalt, dieldrin and asbestos, were found at the park.

According to the Town, prior to the opening the playground has been cleaned and raked; basketball court surfaces have been cleaned and hoops and nets are in place; the fields (one baseball, one multi-purpose use) have been prepared for use.

In addition, the parking lots were cleaned and re-striped, new benches and picnic tables have been added to the playground area.

The field was also hydro-seeded and watered in preparation for the opening of the park.

“It’s safe, right? I hope,” Marianne Gonzalez, who brought her two grandchildren, told Newsday. “I’m just so glad they reopened. It looks nice.”

The park opened its doors starting at 8 a.m. on Monday.

“It is officially open for fun,” Islip Town spokeswoman Caroline Smith said, according to Newsday.

Despite all the changes made, the park will undergo even more renovations which is expected to be completed next year.

The bid opening to renovate the pool is scheduled for August 3 and will be awarded at the August 22 Town Board meeting.

Last month, local officials and residents came together to demand the reopening of the park.


Source: https://patch.com/new-york/westislip/roberto-clemente-park-reopens-after-3-years

Share This Posting
20 Years Of Expert Local Experience
Contact Us Today
Copyright © Albany Environmental & Construction Group 2019 - All rights reserved
Web Design & SEO by Scriptable Solutions.