You might love a good DIY project — but not all projects will love you.
Some tasks need to be left to the professionals. When it comes to mold removal in your house or trying to clean mold yourself, DIY is not a good idea. It can affect your health, and if you don’t complete it properly, it could create an even larger issue.
There’s a reason that New York State requires a person be licensed in order to assess and remediate mold.
Special supplies and equipment are needed to properly perform a mold remediation job. This includes air filtration devices that get strategically placed inside the work area and are vented out through a window to create negative air pressure. This insures that no outside contaminants are entering the structure during remediation.
It’s important to protect yourself and others from getting sick or causing cross-contamination when removing mold. Most homeowners will not take the necessary precautions to protect themselves. Mold removal professionals are trained to handle contaminants, and they know that there are certain ways to get in and out of protective wear to prevent the spread or inhalation of the contaminant.
Detailed training is imperative to removing mold properly. Professionals have their crew members wear protective cover-all suits and are fitted for a high-grade respirator. Purchasing a paint suit and dust mask from the hardware store is not enough, nor is it the proper protection.
And mold, when cleaned improperly, can easily be spread throughout other areas of your home. If you try scrubbing or cleaning an area with mold that does not have the proper containment set up, the spores can go airborne and spread throughout other areas of the home. Initially, the issue could have been isolated to one area of the home such as the basement. After trying to clean it improperly, it could spread to other rooms, creating a much bigger problem.
Some people have severe allergies to certain types of mold while others have none at all. Most people are unaware of these allergies until they start to see symptoms. There are also toxic mold spores that can be extremely dangerous, even in small amounts.
These are just some of the most obvious reasons to have a licensed mold professional come out and evaluate your home. Every home and situation is unique, and any qualified contractor should gladly visit your property to discuss options and provide a visual inspection. Make sure to use your judgment, ask questions, get references and ask for a certificate of insurance for worker’s compensation and liability.
Professionals will have the right answers to make you confident — and keep you healthy.